Sunday, October 01, 2006

What A Weekend !

It's only halfway over!

On Friday night, Anne and I had a date for a change! We went out to dinner and later went dancing at Graham Central Station. The concept of the club is that they have multiple rooms with different musical themes. The first thing I noticed when we went in was that we were not in Austin any more as many of the people there were smoking inside the club. Something I have gotten very used to not having to deal with when I play in clubs in Austin since smoking was banned awhile back. There was country in the big room and it was pretty full. The DJ booth was inside a White Freightliner semi cab. There was the 70/80s room that we jammed in for awhile to some Prince, and Michael Jackson and some other 80s rock. The DJ had some tight mixes and kept the beat going quite nicely. We checked out the Coyote Ugly room which was the most empty room. We couldn't figure out the point of it. The karaoke room was good and also the hip-hop room. Overall a cool experience and interesting people watching too. Straight outta where? Pflugerville y'all!

Tonight, I did another wedding at Hamilton 12 and it was excellent. Played lots of classic jazz for drinking and dinner. Spoke to many of the people there and got lots of requests, most of which I was able to play. Even played a request for Doris Day that the older folks were digging on, "que sera sera!" Got in a car accident on Hwy 71 about 10 minutes before I got to the gig when a man cut over two lanes of traffic in front of me. Turns out it was a teacher from LBJ High School where I used to go and we had a few good laughs about the whole thing. I am not attached to cars so much and was able to get to the gig in time. I am just glad we were both alright. So Monday, it will off to the bodyshop for new hood, front fender and bumper.


Tonight, after the gig, I'm enjoying music from Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, two of my favorite producers. They are former members of The Time and have worked with everybody in R&B from Janet Jackson to the S.O.S Band, Alexander O'Neal, Cherrelle, New Edition, Mya and on and on. I need to do some digging and see what they have been working on since moving from Minneapolis to LA other than Janet's new release. I don't care for the first two singles from her new release so far.

Now I lay me down to sleep...

DJ-RJ

No comments: